Song Copyright Agreement

Of course, it is more common for two or more people to be involved and contribute to the writing and recording process. The co-author of a song or recording is the co-owner of the copyright of that work. In the absence of written agreement, the co-authors of a song share an equal interest in copyright (i.e., 2 co-authors each own 50%, 3 co-authors 33.3% each). So even though one co-author actually wrote 90% of the song and the other co-author only wrote 10% of the song, if they don`t write anything else, they each have 50%. I sang background songs on a song… And now the song is promoted to single… It is not mentioned by me on singles credits … I also did not participate in a promo or shows … What are my legal rights…

No document signed by the owners or composers of a musical work can enter into a music licensing agreement with each interested party. Creating a music licensing agreement for each licensee is a difficult process. To this end, the artists or owners of the musical work enter into a musical licensing agreement with the publishers. Musicians themselves can publish their work on certain platforms such as soundcloud. But most of the publication is done by publishers. In return, artists receive a lump sum or royalties per turnover. These publishers are mostly members of various copyright companies registered under Section 33 of the Indian Copyright Act 1957. In the best case, you might be asked to get the copyright for using a piece of music in your video. But you may also face more serious consequences. For example, if you post your video on YouTube, you may receive a copyright on your account or silence the sound on your video (and yes, it is even if you use it only as background music in your YouTube videos) Any advertising money can be given to the copyright owner or, in the worst case scenario , you could be sued.

After your band wrote and recorded a song, who owns that song? This simple question does not necessarily have a simple answer. How many people were involved in the writing process? Were there other people involved in the admission process? Did you hire a producer? Have you used other singers or background musicians in the studio? Have you used „Work made for hire“ agreements with people involved in the process? Do you have a group agreement? The answers to these and other important questions help determine who actually owns the copyright in a particular song. If you cannot find the copyright holder through these organizations, you can try contacting music licensing companies (PRS) for music (representing composers, authors and publishers) or PPL (representing artists and record companies) for information about the recordings they have authorized.